BSEN1154 Door Closers Classification Guide
BS EN 1154 classifies door closers using a 6 digit coding system. Each digit refers to a particular feature of the product measured against the standard's performance requirements.
Digit 1 - Category of use
- Grade 3: For closing doors from at least 105° open.
- Grade 4: For closing doors from 180° open.
Digit 2 - Number of test cycles
- Grade 8: 500 000 cycles.
Digit 3 - Test door mass/size
- Seven test door mass grades and related door closer power sizes are identified.
Maximum Mass of
Digit 4 - Fire behaviour
- Grade 0: Not suitable for use on fire/smoke door assemblies.
- Grade 1: Suitable for use on fire/smoke door assemblies, subject to satisfactory assessment of the contribution of the door closer to the fire resistance of specified fire/smoke assemblies. This is assessed outside of BS EN 1154.
Digit 5 - Safety
Grade 1: All door closer devices are required to satisfy the essential requirement of safety in use.
Digit 6 - Corrosion resistance
- Grade 0: No defined corrosion resistance.
- Grade 1: Mild resistance.
- Grade 2: Moderate resistance.
- Grade 3: High resistance.
- Grade 4: Very high resistance.
The following marking denotes a closer capable of opening to 180°, with a range of power sizes from size 1 to size 4, suitable for fire door use with high corrosion resistance.
Click here for a list of Door Closers we have on offer.