Discounting locks, not your safety.

Help0845 299 0610Email Us

Clamping License

From 28 February 2005 anyone undertaking "licensable vehicle immobilisation activities" will require a licence from the Security Industries Authority (SIA). A licensable activity is immobilising a vehicle with an immobilisation device, including a wheel clamp, on private land against a release fee.

You will need a license, for example, if:

  • you are a business providing wheel clamping services, or
  • you are an employee who handles the wheel clamping of your car park at work, or
  • you are a private land owner who does your own wheel clamping and charges a release fee.

To get the license you will need to apply for a license from the SIA. If you are front line staff, you must be over 18, pass an identity and criminal record check, and have the right SIA approved qualification. If you are non-front line staff, such as a manager or director, you will need to pass a criminal record check and an identity check. You will not need to take the training. If you are front line staff you will need to wear the license where it can be seen at all times when working.

The Private Security Industry Act 2001 creates several new criminal offences. It will be an offence to provide a designated security service without a licence, or employ an unlicensed person in an activity for which a licence would be required. The penalties for committing an offence can be either, summary conviction at a magistrate's court - the maximum penalty is six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £5,000, or, trial on indictment at the Crown Court, whereby an unlimited fine and/or five years imprisonment could be imposed.

Please refer to the Security Industry Authority's website, for more information regarding the new laws effecting wheel clamping.

Click here for Wheel Clamps

Posted in: Tagged: